Sunday, November 18, 2012

How a girl makes a table with as little information and experience as possible.

I decided one day I wanted to make my own live edge table. The kind that are thousands of dollars with metal hairpin legs? I wanted it to perfectly line the side of my sofa that everyone wants to climb over. I found a guy who slices up black walnut slabs into 3" thickness, let's them dry for years, picked out a shape I liked, he helped me cut it down from the 11' to 7'. I asked a few questions about what to do and left feeling pretty confident I could do this! Shoved 7' feet of wood through the sunroof in the Benz sunroof, pretty professional.

1st step, remove bark from the sides with metal brush. I first picked a big toothbrush thing with wire bristles and was pretty proud of myself. Then while walking around the hardware store I saw the wire brush thingy that attaches to a drill! I think that's what the dude really meant. As you see in the pics the project has started. The outfit chosen to begin was a strapless maxi dress. Comfort matters right?

I have borrowed a belt sander, bought a random orbit sander, shop vac, salty glasses and face masks. 2 sandings with two different grits, I'm done with 150. 250 is next.

I feel so manly!

No comments: